RACE, GENDER AND EQUALITY PANEL
Moderator: Maeley Tom, Member, State Personnel Board • Jei Africa, Director, Office of Diversity and Equity, County of San Mateo Health System
• John Chiang, Treasurer, State of California (Intro Video Excerpt – The Value of Human Capital)
• Jim Cooper, Assembly member, 9th California Assembly District
• John Laird, Secretary, California Natural Resources Agency
• Selvi Stanislaus, Executive Officer, Franchise Tax Board
• James Waterman, Regional Manager, State Local and Education, Google for Work
What if we could access and embrace our infinite and powerful differences? Wouldn’t we be astonishingly powerful if we could harness, as one world, the unique personas, characteristics, skills and capabilities of our companies, our governments, our societies?
SILOS, HIERARCHIES AND IMAGINARY LINES
Moderator: Richard Gillihan, Cal HR Director
• Marybel Batjer, Secretary, California Government Operations Agency, (Cal GovOps)
• Jamie Callahan, Director, External Affairs, Office of Governor Edmund G. Brown, Jr.
• Diana Dooley, Secretary, California Health and Human Services Agency
• Mark Ghilarducci, Director, California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services
Imaginary lines separate our personal, professional, and community lives. Whether silos, hierarchies, or unwritten boundaries, they exist between people and social business structures, within governmental agencies and departments, between agencies and organizations, and among counties, states and countries. These lines are imaginary, but at the same time they are very real.
UNCOMMON LEADERS – CHANGE YOURSELF TO CHANGE YOUR WORLD
Moderator: Darby Kernan, Legislative Representative, California State Association of Counties
• Robert Barton, Inspector General, Office of the Inspector General
• Joseph Farrow, Commissioner, California Highway Patrol
• Michael Mendoza, ARC Member, Social Justice Advocate
• Michele Steeb, Chief Executive Officer, Saint John’s Program for Real Change
• Joe Xavier, Director, California Department of Rehabilitation
Change of oneself to change the world is less about a directive over others and more about embracing the definition of oneself that wears courage as an act of being, from the inside out. Leadership’s a birthright, but living it is a choice.
DAY OF INNOVATION – REIMAGINING GOVERNMENT: BUILDING A HUMAN-CENTRIC AND COMMUNITY-CENTRIC SOCIETY
Moderator by: Daniel C. Kim, Director, California Department of General Services
• Tim Dupuis, Chief Information Officer, Alameda County
• John Nilon, Chief County Administrator, Ker County
• Monica Nino, County Administrator, San Joaquin County
Alameda, Kern, and San Joaquin counties are the inaugural pioneers that participated in the Google Innovation Labs 2015. Join the leadership of these three highly innovative California counties that dare to dream, but, more importantly, dare to challenge the status quo as they break new ground in building a human-centric, community-centric society from environments of 10x innovation.